Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What am I writing?

Aside from this blog I write in my spare time.

I have two paper diaries, which I use as draft books.

The articles/entries/essays can be about anything but I have rules that I try and follow.
First I date everything.
I limit myself to one page single spaced.
If I change my mind I keep the old and start a new page.
When I have enough articles/essays I'm going to publish it.

I have a RPG that I play. I've been playing since 1991, which means that I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the setting rules and game history. The game is Battle Tech it is the single greatest table top game in existence.

Because of the way that the RPG was written as the extension of a war game it is rules heavy by its nature. I don't fault the CBT:RPG for what it is because it does what it is supposed to do very well, I just personally don't like rules heavy RPGs I like nice simple nearly freeform RPGs where the rules only exist as a couple of pages and creativity is encoraged.

So I wrote my own RPG rules, for Battle Tech, it has been posted online for criticism on the main BT message forums and it appears to be liked and enjoyed. I have a couple of friends who are into different RPGs and they love the simplicity and the ease of use.

My final writing project is the setting for my RPG, even though I have it set in the Battle Tech univers and that univers has been activly publised in for nearly 30 years I stll have needs as to the story that I want to tell. So I bumped the BT time line forwards to a pace where my changes will seem apropriate and then I began planning and writing.

Thats all for now,

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment